Toolooa State High School prides itself in delivering quality learning opportunities for students that prepare them for the future. In an ever-progressing global economy, we recognise the importance of providing learning opportunities that cater to current and emerging occupations and the associated skill sets. The Australian workforce needs young people that can adapt to a changing workplace, effectively collaborate to achieve shared goals, understand and appreciate different perspectives, think 'out-side of the box', and program and operate technology effectively. Skills developed through successful STEM programs (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) provide students with the skills to succeed at school and beyond. Current research shows that 40% of current jobs will no longer exist in the future and 75% of the fasted growing occupations require STEM skills*.
What is STEM Squad?
The TSHS STEM Squad is an innovative program aimed at increasing students STEM knowledge and skills as well as providing:
- Immersive and interactive learning opportunities
- Real-life application (I.e. real world scenarios)
- Student-led discovery
- Investigative experiences
- Think 'outside the box' approaches to STEM content
The program aims to create and maintain strong connections with local industry experts and mentors; allow students to demonstrate their creativity and present innovative ideas to solve real-life problems; design, create prototypes, reengineer and invent; build apps; program robots and drones; operate new technology; and attend camps, excursions, incursions and presentations from STEM leaders from around the world.
STEM Squad student meet weekly for one hour after school. Activities include:
- Participation in The First LEGO League
- Participation in STEM Camps
- Local industry tours
- Visits from STEM professionals
- Participation in the Next Tech Girl competition
- Questacon incursions and excursions
- QMEA education opportunities
- Participation in the OptiMINDS competition
- Reef Guardian projects
- Future Makers STEM Awards
- Programming Spheros and Mini-Spheros
- Programming and operating EV3 Robots (including the new EV3 Spike Prime)
- Operating and programing Drones
- Delivery and participation in the TSHS Drone Challenge
How to students join?
Students interested in joining the STEM Squad should contact Mr Capill (A/HOD Junior Secondary) for more information. Students can email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit Mr Capill's office in N-Block. Students that sign up to the program commit to attending weekly meetings (currently on Thursday afternoons 3.15-4.15pm).